Sunday, January 25, 2009

EMHE

NJ MARATHON UPDATE

Nothing makes Extreme Makeover: Home Edition better than finding out it's a 2 hour episode! Wheee!!! Tonight's episode: the parents are 25 with 4 kids plus are taking care of their nephew, the dad was shot through the neck in Iraq, a year after he miraculously survived his house was destroyed in a tornado, along with most of their rural Kansas town. It's all pretty crazy to think of what these people - younger than me - have/are gone/are going through. The design team is doing stuff for other town members and of COURSE my favorite is Miss Edna. She's 78 and looks as if she's afflicted by some sort of neurological disorder and somehow her rose garden survived the tornado. I have no idea what it is about the elderly that affects me so much, but it really does.

The best part about this show - for me - is that it provides weekly motivation to continue giving back to my community. After moving to NYC I truly think it was a combination of EMHE, Oprah's Big Give, and being tired of feeling sorry for myself that led me to start getting involved again. Who knew it would lead into this obsession with community service.

I've discovered recently one of my favorite parts of community service - it's starting to give me a chance to grow. I've been able to go from a volunteer to a team leader. Now I'm looking for more opportunities to transition to more of a community organizer role. Also, there are so many things I want to learn and do - with service you can always use or learn a new skill. I just hope that I can start to inspire other people to...basically get off their butts...and experience all the fantastic things I have and will.

Ok enough preaching, I have to get back to EMHE.

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counter